Instructions for Vasectomy Patients
Downloadable PDF Version If you prefer, you can download and print this information using this link.
- On the evening prior to or on the morning of your vasectomy appointment, completely remove all hair from the scrotum and halfway up the base of the penis. This should be done by shaving. Use a straight or blade razor, NOT an electric razor. After shaving, wash the penis and scrotum thoroughly then shower to remove all loose hair. Do not take aspirin or coumadin for one week prior to the procedure.
- If your appointment is in the morning, eat only a light breakfast. If it is in the afternoon, eat breakfast and only a light lunch.
- A responsible adult with a drivers license should accompany you to take you home after your appointment.
- Make sure you bring a clean (or new) athletic supporter or tight briefs (No Boxers) to the appointment.
- We will make arrangements to see you for a wound check within one (1) week following your vasectomy. Until you are seen, you should restrict your walking to a minimum. Under no circumstances should you engage in any strenuous physical activity. Should any oozing of bloof from the incision occur during your early post-op period, sit down and pinch the incision for 10 minutes. If bleeding persists or swelling occurs, contact the doctor at the office or through the answering service.
- A number of ejaculations (at least 20), within several weeks following surgery, are required to empty the seminal vesicles of residual spermatozoa. Therefore, you should have frequent sexual intercourse during the weeks following the vasectomy. A sperm count will be done 12 weeks after the vasectomy. If further sperm counts are necessary, they will be done at monthly intervals. MAKE SURE TO USE CONTRACEPTIVES UNTIL THE SPERM COUNTS HAVE BEEN PERFORMED.
- The doctor will inform you when you have a totally azoospermic count. ONLY THEN CAN YOU SAFELY ABANDON YOUR PRESENT BIRTH CONTROL METHOD.